A lesson from Malaysia and Media Culture

Through all the lectures, tutorials and the activities, I truly learned a lot about cultures and religions, which comes from people. races, gender and et cetera. Not just watching documentaries, movies or videos in every lectures and tutorials, going to every field trips, but I can see the connection between the cultures and the media are much important to spread from an individual to the people in the whole world. From the start we attend the class, we had learned what words to tell our country. After that, we start to discuss our history of Malaysia and start to talk about the art and cultures in Malaysia. I wasn't learned much from the start because I am not familiar with Malaysia's elements include films and videos that produced in the local area since 18 or 19 centuries of generations. Maybe I have too much influential from western's culture, so I didn't know what's more we had in Malaysia. Through Dr Carmen Nge lectured about every topics we discussed, I know what's the artist thought about Malaysia by performing arts and dance movement. All the time we spent in this semester are learning Malaysia's culture and practice, then goes to the media such as documentaries and films.I am not fully attracted from Malaysia's cultures and practices because when I was little kid my parents are educating me with the western's elements and cultures until nowadays. Therefore, most of the elements of Malaysia's culture and religions practice are not familiar or strange such as the documentary about Chinese people are taking Malays' religion practice in somewhere area of Kelantan or Terrengannu. I learned about being open-minded that I learned from the legend stories or film such as Putri Gunung Ledang. Also, I learned about the morality value of caring and forgive people who are done badly or cruel in Malaysia such as the documentary about victims are torturing in the small room like a "dog cage". 

Every trip we went including Petronas Art Gallery, Illham Gallery, 5 Arts Centers and so on are felt meaningful to us because not only we visit every locations we went, but also felt the people's voices and viewpoints from every people's thought and mind to show to the audience include us. I just know that what's changes and happened to our country are constantly different because every people's mind are growing and change the world through these exhibitions, shows and performances. People need freedom and improvement from before the world to the new world. Although there's some advantages and disadvantages to change the world's cultures and media, but we definitely can see what elements is going to apply in our future if we change the world like Science Fiction. Although I not interested much from that, but I can say that. the future of the world is waiting for us to change. I do like the present world, but think critically, there's so much things we have to learn and adapt to the world, not only different people, language or races, but we have to be part of this world like KLPAC's theater "Kakak". Everyone may have difficulties and suffering to survive in the place we are living, but we have the firm to survive can escape all of the obstacles. Therefore, all the moral values that I learned from every discussions and activities are essential to live and survive in the world. If not, we will lost everything along with Malaysia's culture and practice.

At last but not least, I truly appreciate that lecturers and class mates are having this fun, meaningful and interesting subject that we have been together in these 4 months of teaching weeks.

Thank You,
Dr Camen Nge
Dr Andrew Loo
Ms Ezzati    


Whole class group photos with lecturers, helpers and volunteers. Credits by Dr, Andrew Loo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Priniting Workshop

Principle of Rukun Negara Malaysia

Puteri Gunung Ledang